Thursday, July 4, 2013

Where is my freedom?

With the 4th of July upon us our minds naturally turn to freedom.  We remember how blessed we are to live in this country: the land of the free and the home of the brave.  It's got me thinking about my freedoms as a parent and what they mean to me. 

What do I mean by free?  Let me put it to you this way - do you find fulfillment and freedom in your life as a parent or does it stifle and constrict you?  I think we all have moments that we identify with both sides of this question.  It's when we can't escape the constriction that we have to stop and fix things.  Being a parent should be a freeing and exciting journey for each one of us.  Whether you planned each of your miracles or were surprised, they are special and worthy of your time and energy.  You should be free to love them without restriction, to play with them without embarrassment, and to cuddle them without limitations.  What keeps you from claiming that joy?  I know what keeps me from it - I get distracted, I get busy, and I get so bogged down in the day-to-day muck of life that I don't feel free or joyful.  Instead of enjoying an outing I find myself thinking about what has to be done when we get home. 

So, how do we work ourselves out of the funk and into the freedom and joy of parenting?  I think the best way is improving our prayer lives.  I know that too often I lay a burden at God's feet only to take it up again later.  Really??  Am I really so arrogant that I think I can handle my stuff better than God can?  Apparently I am all too often!  It's a hard thing to give your burdens away for good.  I like to think I'm getting better at it, and most days I am, but there are some things that I have a hard time giving over.  However, when I'm successful I find that parenting becomes easier for me.  I'm calmer and more relaxed with my girls, which makes me more fun to be around. 

Along with improving our prayer lives we have to learn to lighten up!  Be silly with your kids - who cares if you look funny singing your heart out to One Direction songs?  Does it matter?  It means so much to your kids when you can sit down with them and be fun - play games, play Barbies or Legos, read together, make up silly stories, or color.  They don't care what it is.  So I'm going to challenge you to be free - claim your right to be a joyful, free parent and see how your children respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment